- This event has passed.
Article 81 – Guardianship Training
November 17, 2016 @ 8:30 am - 4:30 pm| $160
This one-day 7-hour training program is designed for aspiring guardians – both lawyers and lay advocates; attorneys who seek to represent petitioners and/or Alleged Incapacitated Persons (AIPs); and attorneys, physicians, psychologists, social workers and other professionals who would like to serve as court evaluators in guardianship proceedings.
The training explains the legal process by which a guardian is appointed and monitored, describes the role of the court evaluator, and explores the powers and responsibilities of a guardian within the context of New York State Law, which requires courts to impose the least restrictive intervention and to preserve, as much as possible, an incapacitated person’s independence and self-determination. The training also addresses a few specific issues: medical advocacy, fiduciary matters, and how guardians can access support services and other resources in the community.
This program is approved by New York State Office of Court Administration and completing it satisfies the training requirement under Article 81 of the New York State Mental Hygiene Law.
$160 per attendee. The fee is payable by check or money order. Brookdale Center is pleased to make partial and full scholarships available for individuals in need of financial assistance. Click here to see if you qualify for a scholarship.
CLE credits for attorneys
Brookdale Center’s Article 81 Guardianship Training is an accredited course for continuing or transitional legal education. Attorneys who complete the entire training will earn 2 CLE credits in skills and 5 CLE credits in areas of practice. No credits will be awarded for attorneys who do not attend the entire day’s training. CLE certification will be issued either at the end of the training session, or by mail within three weeks.
NYC Subway directions
Take the #6 local subway line to the 116th Street (Lexington Ave) or the #4/5/6 subway lines to 125th Street (Lexington Ave). Then walk East 1 block to 3rd Avenue and walk either uptown or downtown to 119th Street (entrance to the building is on Third Avenue on the corner of 119th Street).
Join our mailing list
Would you like to be informed about upcoming training sessions? Subscribe to receive email announcements about Brookdale’s professional development offerings and trainings.
- Please direct your content questions to Debra Sacks, LPN, JD, Senior Staff Attorney at Brookdale Center for Healthy Aging and Trainer of the Article 81 Guardianship Program.
- Please direct your registration, scheduling or CLE questions to email@example.com.
- Article 81 Guardianship Course Manual – Additional copies of our Guardianship Training Manual are available by special order for $75. To order, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Guide to Guardianship (free) – For lay guardians appointed under Article 81 of the NY State Mental Hygiene Law.
- Guardian Assistance Network (GAN) – A program of the Vera Institute of Justice to offer free practical advice and assistance family members appointed as guardians in Kings County (Brooklyn) under Article 81 of the New York State Mental Hygiene Law.